Cannon is a selection from the Ceres New Zealand program and was selected for increased tiller density, improved rust tolerance, and increased tolerance to humid conditions.
Under Western Australian conditions, Cannon perennial ryegrass exhibits good production across the spring, summer and autumn seasons demonstrating its ability to grow in the hotter humid climates.
The main attributes of Cannon Perennial Ryegrass are:
- High yielding in spring, summer and autumn with good production in winter.
- Cannon maintains pasture quality in late spring / summer with little secondary heading.
- Has good field tolerance to root feeding insects.
- High level of rust tolerance
- Very good persistence under rotational grazing systems with irrigation
Cannon is a high performance perennial ryegrass and requires high inputs to maximise production throughout the growing seasons. Under WA conditions irrigation is required to maintain plant density and provide late spring, summer and autumn production.
Recommended sowing rates:
Cannon perennial ryegrass 20 to 30 kgs/ha plus clovers. Where sown with other perennial ryegrasses adjust the proportion of Cannon accordingly.
Cannon is marketed by PGG Seeds and Proudly distributed by Irwin Hunter & Co.